Feb 20, 2010

Recovery

Usually race pictures don't turn out so well. This one seems acceptable.

It's hard to have a bad week of running when you start it off with a 3:40 marathon, So I guess mine has gone pretty well. The weather has been much nicer but that hasn't made running outside any easier. I went outside Tuesday and today but the snow/ice/slush/water almost made it unenjoyable. Maybe I just need to use the smaller back roads and run down the middle of them. At least it makes me run slower for my recovery. Well, maybe I'm just running slower because it is my recovery. I definitely have had dead legs all week. Still I've been able to get in some decent mileage, 64 miles overall with 10 on Tuesday, 13.82 on Thursday and then 14.06 today. Thursday seemed to be particularly hard. Seemed like I just wanted to be done and around miles 9-10 I almost stopped. Somewhere after that though it just became running and the effort seemed to mostly go away. Although tired, my body was moving on it's own so I was able to get about 14 in.

My other workouts, weights on Wed and Fri, were a little lighter too. Hopefully it will come back better this week. I did manage to swim a bit last week on Wednesday, 500 meters. Okay so that is pretty short and only took about 12 minutes but since I haven't swum since last June that was okay. It did remind me that I don't like 1) jumping into a cold pool, 2) the chlorine smell all over me, 3) water in my ears and 4) the headache that I get from swimming. I think it has to do with my uneven breathing. It usually gets better as I do it more though. I'll probably start swimming once a week, I mean triathlon season is coming in the summer (whenever that is).

I enjoy reading all your blogs and seeing your progress. Thanks for the diversion.

All in: Tuesday 10 at 8:54
Thursday 13.82 at 8:47
Saturday 14.06 at 8:43

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! You ran 64 miles the week after a marathon? I've worked with some Olympic Marathon Trial runners and NONE of them allow me to run a single mile after. I guess we all just react differently to recovery. Great job again on the marathon. You did amazing!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you got in that mileage during your recovery week, I can't believe it! It doesn't sound like you have dead legs. Great race pix, you look strong and serious!

Jean said...

I would say you are recovering quite well! Nice job, AZ!

Glenn Jones said...

*That* is a great race pic!

Beth said...

I think that is a great race picture! It makes sense that your legs are tired, but you still getting in a lot of injury free miles, so your body is holding up really well. Good for you! Getting in the pool the first few times is always tough. You get credit just for getting in!