Feb 2, 2010

January

January was kind of a good and bad month. I was surprised to see that I ran less than half the days, only 14. Clearly the cold I had through the holidays and getting sick after the marathon held me back. I promise I'll try to do better in February. On the good side was I did get in 194 miles and while that isn't a lot it is an average of almost 14 miles per run. I haven't had an average that high since June of 2005 but then I only ran 3 times that month and one of them was a marathon. (Okay, so I didn't really "run" that marathon. It was pretty slow and walking/jogging by the end.) Here's to a more consistent February!

Yesterday's 20 miler was way better than last week. Could be because I used a gel instead of sport beans. I also tried endurolytes for the first time. Jury is still out on those. I only tried them because I had a pack that was stuck in a goody bag from some event that I did. I really can't say if they helped. I'll probably try them again but likely only if I get them in a goody bag again. After I was done I felt good enough to take the dog out for rollerblading (cold but the road was (mostly) dry) and shovel the driveway. Anyway, another 20 miler on the treadmill and we're getting more snow this week so I'll probably be there for the rest of my runs too. At least today I'll just be doing some weightlifting and core/stretching work. Shorter than my run workouts.

All in: 20 miles at 8:34

7 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Az,
Woo hoo, another Minneosta blogger! Congrats on the awesome miles for January:) Do you run in any half marathons or are you hard core marathon all the way?

Jill said...

Wow, great job on the 20-miler! I don't know how you do it with one gel and/or sport beans. On a 20-miler, I take 2 gels and a bottle of Perpetuem. But I've died one too many times in a marathon at mile 22 and constantly fueling my long run works best for me. Good luck on your upcoming 20. And wow, on a treadmill to boot! Happy Tuesday!

Beth said...

Wow, almost 200 miles in a month. I was celebrating hitting 108 miles this month. Geez, I'm lazy! :) Great job!!

Unknown said...

OK, I finally have someone to discuss Endurolytes with me. I've been using them for a year. Sometimes I take them before a track workout, sometimes before racing and I do think they help me out. A guy at a local tri store told me they are a waste of money but I do believe they work. Let me know what you think.

Lindsay said...

194 miles in 14 days is awesome! i'd have to run like 28 days to get that in :)

Glenn Jones said...

An average of 14 miles a run is awesome. Jut the time commitment to accomplish that shows your seriousness. Way to go!

I use Endurolytes. I like them because if I don't use water to hydrate (i.e., use something else like Gatorade, etc.) I run into problems out beyond about 16 miles. The downside to Endurolytes is that to be effective you need to take a coupe of three caps a couple times an hour - that gets pretty expensive....

AZ said...

Julie, thanks for visiting my blog. I run everything, 5k's, 10k's, halves and full marathons. I'll even throw some triathlons in there.

Still not sure about the endurolytes. Toby Tanser advises to take salt packets for a marathon. Those are way cheaper (especially from McDonalds).