Oct 3, 2010

Swim To The Music

In case you were wondering, yes, I did get my waterproof Ipod holder in time for my swim last Wednesday.  I got it in the early afternoon and less than an hour later I was in the pool doing my little dog paddle.  It definitely helped the time pass more quickly.  In fact a few times I got so lost in just going through the motions and listening to music that I lost count of my laps.  That is another dilemma I face.  Must be my limited mental capacity.  Maybe now I'll have to buy one of these.  I'm already spending all my birthday money and I still have over a month to go.

Last week after one of my swims an older guy in the pool asked me if I was serious about triathlons.  He could probably tell I wasn't a swimmer by my form and so the obvious assumption is triathlons.  Of course he was correct.  Anyway he gave me some pointers, like keeping my feet closer to the surface, having a shorter stroke and breathing more often because more breathing = more oxygen = more ability to do work.  I tried this stuff out on Friday and you know what?  It worked mostly.  See workout summaries below.  Still getting used to some of the changes but I think they are all for the better.  I'll have to keep going to the pool at that time to get some more tips.

9/29 2100m at 2:17, 3.5 miles on the bike to and from the pool
9/30 35.1 miles at 18.4 mph
10/1 1700m at 2:11
10/2 4.71 miles at 7:48 pace

8 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

Wow, I wish I could have been around to get some pointers on swimming like that! Usually the pointers I receive are focused around increasing cannonball splash size

Jennifer said...

Always wondered about this water proof sound systems, sounds like it works well. I have one of those finger lap counters and I love it. Keep up the good work!

Jill said...

That's great you got the water music going, I so need one of those.

I used to swim on the collegiate level...I know one thing that really helps my stroke is to breathe bilaterally, so every 3rd stroke. Breathing on only one side is like running laps the same way every time you run.

Keep up the great swimming :).

Thompson said...

For tips on swimming check out totalimmersion.net. You can also find videos from total immersion on YouTube.

San said...

Haha, I don't remember the laps even without getting distracted by the music. So they work? Sounds like I need to get one myself as soon as I get serious about this whole stuff. Oh wait, that would've been last year, now would it? Whoops

And I really have to push myself while swimming: just one more then you've done 1000. or was 1025? or maybe just 900?

Lindsay said...

a sportcount! why didn't i know of that when i swam (casually/for exercise) in college. i always lost count of my laps... i definitely vote for one of those.

Beth said...

You are cracking me up, because after I got my swimP3 I had to get a sportcount. I love it! I ordered it online and I use it whenever I do laps at the pool. Have fun!

Glenn Jones said...

That little lap counter thing was quite cool! All of my kids swam competitively and I spent a lot of timeby the pool with the old lap counter myself.....