Aug 4, 2010

Kicking It

I got to do another triathlon on Sunday. Sort of a whole kick off to my year of training for next year's Ironman. Of course it was a sprint since that is pretty much all my swimming training could handle. Bike and run wise I could handle an Olympic distance. That's about it though.

Again the swim was painfully slow. Even slower than last week, somewhere around 11:30. Jeesh. I know I'm definitely not that slow. Long course maybe? I'm desperately starting to need some excuses. Bike was good the first half but then I started to slow and get passed. Run was mediocre even though it should be a strength. Well, it's not. All in all it was fun to do though. I really have to say my transitions are improving. Averaging a minute or less for all of them. Maybe that's how I'll make my name, focusing on the transitions.

Anyway, the good news is that I got 2nd in the 40-44 age group. Bad news is that they went by decades for the age groups and I got like 7th in the 40-49 age group. No prize for me. I did hit the random goal of 1:30 though. That's one thing about sprints, all the distances are so variable that you really can't compare them. Like this one had a 400m swim (same as last week), 14 mile ride, about normal but much shorter than last week, and a 4.4 mile run which is a fair bit farther than the normal 5k. I don't care about all that though, right? I'm concentrating on my transitions.

8/1 sprint tri 1:30:28
8/3 8 miles at 8:50

7 comments:

Karen said...

You really have embraced this whole tri thing! Can't wait to follow your journey to ironman

Unknown said...

Isn't it great being in the 40+ age group? I was just telling a friend that yesterday. For some strange reason, I feel better now at every race! Great job, keep kicking it in gear!!

Jill said...

All of the local races here in CO are in the decade range - add the fact that uber-athletes live here and it's hard to AG place. So impressed with your placement, way to go! You're doing so awesome on this tri thing, and it'll just get easier and easier as you keep with it.

Julie said...

Hi Az,
Woo hoo! Congrats on your 2nd place age placement! You did great and I promise you that you would of kicked my butt in the swimming portion:) Great job!

Johann said...

Nicely done! You are certainly moving well.

Beth said...

Great job at your tri. Since the conditions and courses are so variable, it is very hard to compare races, even the same race year to year. Your ranking was high so that shows you had a great race. Nice!

TokyoRacer said...

The Transition King. Yes, it has a nice ring to it....